Sunday, April 26, 2009

tuesdays with Morrie

A friend recommended me to read "Tuesdays with Morrie".

Today, due to some stupid mistakes that made me miss my Body Balance classes, I spent the whole afternoon reading the book.
Well, it was a blessing in disguise actually since I really enjoyed reading it and it really touched me.

It told me a true story of Professor Morrie Schwartz who spent the last three and a half months (14 weeks) of his life to give lectures about life to his beloved student, the author, Mitch Albom.
The lectures were happened every Tuesday in the 14 weeks.
Hence the title.

One of the Tuesdays that interest me the most is the twelfth which started with phrases
"Forgive yourself before you die. Only then forgive others" (it is a free translation since I read the Indonesian version).
It was said that we usually blame ourselves for not working harder, not doing something that we should do, etc.

I did that.
Many-many times.
For not be with my Father during his last days, for not doing the best for my Mom and families, for not continuing my studies, for not fully developed my talents, for not this, not that, not this, not that, etc.

Some of them can not be changed, some of them I try to change, some of them I try to ignore.
And as it is said in the book, I think I have to make peace with the unchangeable ones.
Only then I can move on and do better with my life.

Another Tuesday which gave me very strong impression was the fifth when Morrie talked about Family.
"If I’ve divorced, live alone, or don’t have children. This illness-which I have-will burden me more. I’m not sure if I can handle it. Yes, there are people who will visit, friends, ex-partners, etc, but they are not the same with someone who will not left us alone. They are different with someone who we know will continuously care for us, watching us all the time".
(It is another free translation, sorry if I’ve mistranslated some words).

On reading that, I can’t stop remembering my time being a flood victim.
Back then, the one thing that tortures me the most is the feeling of being lonely.
In normal condition, I have my work, places to socialize, to make friend.

But, the flood cut all of those.
And it taught me to appreciate my Mom’s and families’ phone calls, my friends’ attentions, and strangers’ attentions.
It taught me to appreciate many things that will be taken as granted in my usually busy days.

My friend told me that the book is the best book she’d ever read.
That she cried reading the book.

I’d been touched reading Tuesdays’ lectures in the book.
Many Tuesdays.

I’ve shared some of them.
And perhaps some more in some other days.

(previously posted in Friendster on January 10th, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment